Restaurants need to comply with the stringent policies and practices set out by industry governing bodies in order to remain operational. The importance of food safety resulting from good hygiene cannot be stressed enough.
There are set standards that every restaurateur should adhere to, but if you find yourself facing a health inspection, there are 5 important things to keep in mind.
1.Train kitchen staff on proper hygiene practices
Of utmost importance is personal hygiene and cleanliness which should be reflected in the kitchen staff.
Your kitchen staff should strictly adhere to the following personal hygiene practices:
- Hair should always be covered with a hairnet
- Frequent hand washing – ensure there are designated hand washing stations throughout the kitchen including disinfectant soap and paper towels
Kitchen staff should also be trained on the following food safety practices:
- Proper preparation, food time and temperatures
- Cross contamination of food
- Temperature guidelines include checking the temperature of products when they arrive, when they are stored and when they are served
2.Make use of cleaning schedules and records
A record-keeping system will enable you to keep on top of your daily cleaning requirements. This is also a good idea when facing an inspection as you will have a cleaning record which may serve as evidence of health and hygiene practices.
The system should include areas that require deep cleaning as some of these areas are often neglected, as well as daily tasks.
Once a task is completed, the responsible person should sign and date the checklist.
3.Cutlery and crockery should be meticulously cleaned
Food hygiene best practices apply to your cutlery and crockery too. Clean cutlery and crockery is not only a must for patrons, but for the preparation of food too.
In order to ensure that these are thoroughly cleaned, always:
- Use a commercial dishwasher with proper cleaning products
- Inspect each item before it goes out onto the floor
- Have regular spot-checks in order to ensure your guests are provided with utensils that are clean and hygienic
The best strategy is to be ready at all times
Staying ahead means maintaining proper health, hygiene and food safety standards at all times.
Restaurants should always apply a meticulous approach to general cleanliness and have optimal standards of both personal and food hygiene.
We have hygiene solutions perfectly suited to any restaurant so why not contact us today for a personalized quote.