Organising your office work space after you return from a few weeks off over the festive season should be your first step in maintaining a clutter-free, hygienic work zone.
Working in a cluttered, messy environment is distracting and can affect productivity in a negative way.
A clean, well-organised office work space will:
- increase productivity
- improve morale
- reduce the risk of employees taking time off work due to illness
An ongoing project
Don’t think of cleaning and organising your office as a once off, major overhaul, rather think of it as an ongoing project.
Clutter tends to pile up over time, and before you know it, you and your colleagues will be swimming under piles of papers, files and general mess.
Follow these great tips to maintain a clean and well-organised office:
- Purge your office – Start with this. Throw away anything that doesn’t get used, is old, broken or “stored away for a rainy day”. A great idea is to donate any old equipment or furniture to charities or small businesses in need. Support the community while de-cluttering.
Get everyone to do the same in their offices and with their own workstations.
This rule applies to supplies, furniture, equipment and even knick-knacks, office plants etc. Be ruthless.
- Create and stick to the office “zones” – Chances are, your office already has areas where certain activities take place. For example, you should have a main work space; this is likely where the desks are situated. There should also be a common area/break room, reference area, where the filing is kept, kitchen and store room, where the office supplies are located.
Collect everything that isn’t where it should be, and put it where it belongs in each of the designated “zones”. Try and keep these areas as neat and tidy as possible.
- Go digital – Most paper files can be scanned and stored digitally, reducing the amount of physical files and folders that need to be kept. This will help to de-clutter and free up space in the office. Work can also be backed up and easily accessible in case of a disaster.
- Use storage boxes – This tip sounds quite simple, but use inexpensive plastic storage boxes to keep files, folders and other necessary items that are not in current use. These can be stacked to afford more space.
- Organise desktops and drawers – Use trays and holders to organize your desktops, put items used together in the same drawer space. E.g. stamps with envelopes, sticky pads with notepads, etc. Use drawer organizers for little items – paper clips, tacks, etc. Use a separate drawer for personal items.
Don’t forget the deep cleaning
Now that your office is clutter-free and running like the well-oiled machine it is, consider having a professional washroom deep cleaning service. This goes hand in hand with a clean, well-organised office space.
Not only will a washroom deep cleaning service like this reduce the risk of germs and bacteria, it will assist in maintaining a healthy, hygienic work environment.
If you would like to enquire about our professional deep cleaning services, then please contact us today and we will determine the best solution for you.