- Pest Info
Flies feed by vomiting on food. As many as 12 generations of flies can be spawned in a single season and thus it is critical that a focused strategy is formed to control flies at their source.
Eggs are laid in moist decaying matter such as household refuse, compost or dung and it takes between 4 days in summer and 4 weeks in winter for fully formed flies to emerge.
Business consequences and potential health hazards:
Houseflies can transmit intestinal worms and are potential carriers of diseases such as:
What you can do:
Flies in your business are a source of disgust to customers and employees and if there are enough flies, this will raise concerns over the health and hygiene standards of your business.
- Do not leave food lying around
- Throw out your rubbish the same day
- Establish a daily cleaning regime
- Spray regularly with an insecticide
- Fly traps should be kept in refuse areas in complex and commercial building environments
- Refuse bins must be stored and sealed well and disposed of without undue delay
- Insect Light Traps, Aerosol Dispensers, Growth Regulators, Contact Insecticides and Monitoring Devices
- These will be of a glue board nature and will be serviced monthly. Insect light traps are placed inside the facility at areas that are deemed as high risk
- Aerosol dispensers placed inside offices and administration areas